Skip to content

View navigation

The Data Protection Act 2018 gives you a statutory right of access to your personal records (manual or computer). In certain circumstances your records or part of your records may be withheld under the terms of the Act, but if that is the case this will be discussed with you.

  • You may wish to authorise someone else to make an application on your behalf.
  • If you have parental responsibilities, you may make an application to see your child’s notes, if they are less than 13 years old.

Proof of Identity

You must provide two types of identification. These may be:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driving License
  • Staff ID badge (for members of staff only)

In addition, proof of address must be provided e.g. bank statement, utility bill and Tax certificate. If you wish to have information sent out to you, photocopies of identification information must be sent to Leeds Community Healthcare.


Leeds Community Healthcare will deal with you request promptly, and in any event the records will be sent to you within one month of receipt of your accurately completed form (if submitted.) If we encounter any difficulties in locating your data we will keep you informed of our progress.


If you wish to complain about any aspect of the manner in which your access request was handled, in the first instance you should submit your complaint in writing to or contact: -

Complaints should be addressed to:

The Complaints & Claims Manager
Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust
White Rose Office Park, Building 3
Millshaw Park Lane,
LS11 0DL

Where it will be dealt with through the Complaints Procedure.

If you are still not satisfied with the response you receive you may refer your complaint to the Information Commissioner:

The Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
K9 5AF

Telephone: 0303 123 1113



Identification documents to receive personal information:

An applicant should provide:

  • One form of personal photo ID and one document confirming their address must be provided from different sources.
  • If requesting on behalf of a child, we require evidence of parental responsibility.

Acceptable Photo Personal Identity Documents

  • Current UK, EU / other nationalities passports.
  • Passports of non-EU nationals containing UK stamps, a visa or a UK residence permit showing the immigration status of the holder in the UK*
  • Current UK (or EU / other nationalities) Photo-card Driving Licence (providing that the person checking is confident that non-UK Photo-card Driving Licences are genuine)
  • A national ID card and / or other valid documentation relating to immigration status and permission to work*

Where the applicant is not able to provide acceptable photographic ID the following must be provided: -

  • One form of non-photographic personal identification and one document confirming the address must be provided from different sources.
  • A passport sized photograph, endorsed on the back with a signature of a ‘person of standing’ who has known them for at least 3 years (e.g. magistrate, medical practitioner, officer of the armed forces, teacher, lawyer, civil servant)

Acceptable Non-Photo Personal Identity Documents

  • Full UK Birth Certificate – issued within 6 weeks of birth;
  • Current Full Driving License (old version); (Provisional Driving Licenses are not acceptable);
  • Residence permit issued by Home Office to EU Nationals on inspection of own-country passport;
  • Adoption certificate;
  • Marriage/Civil Partnership certificate;
  • Divorce or annulment papers;
  • Police registration document;
  • Certificate of employment in HM Forces;
  • Current benefit book or card or original notification letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming legal right to benefit;
  • Most recent HM Revenues and Customs (previously Inland Revenue) tax notification;
  • Current firearms certificate;
  • Application Registration Card (ARC) issued to people seeking asylum in the UK (or previously issued standard acknowledgement letters, SAL1 or SAL2 forms);
  • GV3 form issued to people who want to travel in the UK without valid travel documents;
  • Home Office letter IS KOS EX or KOS EX2;
  • Building industry sub-contactor’s certificate issued by HM Revenues and Customs (previously Inland Revenue)

To confirm address, the following documents are acceptable:

  • Recent utility bill or a certificate from a supplier of utilities confirming the arrangement to pay for the services on pre-payment terms (note: mobile telephone bills should not be accepted as they can be sent to different addresses).
  • Utility bills in joint names are permissible; *
  • Local authority tax bill (valid for current year); *
  • Current UK photo card driving license (if not already presented as a personal ID document);
  • Current Full UK driving license (old version) (if not already presented as a personal ID document);
  • Bank, building society or credit union statement or passbook containing current address;
  • Most recent mortgage statement from a recognised leader;*
  • Current local council rent card or tenancy agreement;
  • Current benefit book or card or original notification letter from Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming the rights to benefit;
  • Confirmation from an electoral register search that a person of that name lives at the claimed address; *
  • Court Order.*

*The date on these documents should be within the last 6 months (unless there is a good reason for it not to be e.g. clear evidence that the person was not living in the UK for 6 months or more) and must contain the name and address of the applicant.

Return completed forms to:

Information Governance Team
Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust
White Rose Office Park, Building 3 
Millshaw Park Lane
LS11 0DL


Privacy Notice

Please view our Privacy Notice to see how we use information about you and your full rights under the Data Protection Act 2018.

What to do if you need to speak to someone urgently...