We work with children and young people aged 0-19 who have difficulties or a disability which impacts upon their movement and makes their daily participation in activities difficult. The children we support have a long term neurological or developmental condition.
We provide support for children and their families to participate in everyday activities, provide specialist assessments and analysis of movement difficulties, and look at how to reduce possible future complications.
We also provide specialist treatment based on current evidence. This can include:
- Advice on activities that can be incorporated in to everyday home and school routines.
- Individual exercise or positioning programmes.
- Specialist equipment and orthotics.
- Specialist interventions e.g. hydrotherapy or rebound therapy.
We also provide specialist advice, information and training to children and young people, parents and carers, education staff and other healthcare professionals.
Who's it for?
Our service provides specialist assessment and advice to children and young people aged 0-19 with a long term neurological or developmental conditions.
Information for children with developmental delay
- Introduction to developing your child’s movement skills
- Lying on their back - developing your child’s movement skills
- Lying on their tummy - developing your child’s movement skills
- Sitting - developing your child’s movement skills
- Crawling – developing your child’s movement skills
- Pulling to stand - developing your child’s movement skills
- Standing and walking - developing your child’s movement skills
- Post walking skills - developing your child’s movement skills
- Equipment - developing your child’s movement skills
One minute guides
- Children’s Community Physiotherapy Patient Information Leaflet
- Children's Orthotics
- Children's Standing Frames
- Children's Walking Aids
- How to help a child with movement difficulties
- Wheelchair skills - Parents guide
- Developing independent wheelchair skills - Powered Wheelchair
- Developing independent wheelchair skills - Manual Wheelchair
Please view the ICAN referrals page.
Tel: 0113 843 3620
8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday
We operate out of the following health centres:
ICAN West Hub / Child Development Centre
Wortley Beck Health Centre
Lower Wortley LS12 5SG
Tel: 0113 843 8000
ICAN South Hub / Child Development Centre
St George’s Centre
St George’s Rd
Tel: 0113 843 2000
East ICAN Hub and Child Development Centre
The Reginald Centre
263 Chapletown Road
Tel: 0113 843 5700
We are currently reviewing our website to make all content accessible. If you are looking for a download, such as a leaflet or booklet that you can no longer find, please contact the service on the details above.