What we offer
Our experienced team of specialist Physiotherapists and an Advanced Clinical Practitioner, with support from Therapy Technical Instructors, deliver a falls service in the community to:
- Provide specialist falls risk assessments to older people who are likely to be frail, have complex presentations/multi-pathologies, unexplained dizziness, and are therefore at higher risk of falls
- Support older people in the community and help to prevent avoidable, unnecessary admission to hospital or premature admission into long-term care
- Provide specialist physiotherapy interventions aiming to reduce the risk of future falls and fear of falling – this may include provision of an exercise programme or onward referral to other services as required
- Identify changes in person’s functional status and confidence during the service’s intervention by use of clinical assessment tools and outcome measures
- Provide specialist falls advice and support to other community health and social care professionals
- Provide education to community health and social care professionals and services in collaboration with other health care teams
The team also works closely with Consultant Geriatricians and a Pharmacist to provide support to complex high risk falls patients.
Who's it for?
The service is for older people:
- Usually aged 60 and above, who are registered with a Leeds GP and identified as being at high risk of falling
- Identified as being complex falls patients requiring specialist assessment, skills and input of the team
Information for the public:
If you feel you or a relative would benefit from an assessment, please contact your GP to discuss your needs further. The GP can then make a referral to the most appropriate service dependent on individual need.
Information for healthcare professionals:
Referrals can only be made by a registered healthcare professional. For information on the referral process and how to refer a patient into the service please see Leeds Health Pathways link below.
Leeds Integrated Falls Pathway (leedsth.nhs.uk)
If a person is currently under the care of a Leeds Community Healthcare Neighbourhood Team, then the Neighbourhood Team should be contacted in the first instance to complete a falls risk assessment.
Please note that the Community Falls Service is not a rapid response service. For older people who require urgent assessment and/or short-term daily support at home with activities of daily living, referrals can be made by the person’s GP to the Neighbourhood Team.
Leeds Community Falls Service
Tel: 0113 843 5510
8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday - Friday (excluding bank holidays)
Yeadon Health Centre
17 South View Road
We are currently reviewing our website to make all content accessible. If you are looking for a download, such as a leaflet or booklet that you can no longer find, please contact the service on the details above.
For further information about falls please visit the NHS website.