This service is currently providing support via telephone or video consultations and some face to face appointments. We will contact you by phone to discuss which options are most suitable to you or your child's care. While schools are closed we are not always able to support your child in school and may contact you to offer a phone or video consultation at home. Children’s Speech and Language Therapy staff may be required to be redeployed to support with other NHS services for those who require urgent care this may affect how quickly we are able to see you.
You may find the following pages useful:
- General Appointment Guidance
- Attending your Appointment in a Clinic
- Attending your Appointment at Home
- Attending your Virtual Appointments
Or you can watch a summary of what to expect when visiting a clinic or health centre in the following animations:
Visiting a Clinic or Health Centre
Who's it for?
Our service is available to people living in Leeds (or registered with a Leeds GP) who fit into the following groups:
- Children aged 0-18 years with consent from their parent/guardian.
- Adults – Stammering Support Service and Communication Aid Service only
We have ten service areas:
- Mainstream Clinic and School
- Deaf and Hearing Impairment Team
- Developmental Language Disorder
- Complex Developmental Assessment (ICAN)
- Complex Communication Assessment (ICAN) this is a pre-school autism assessment
- School Age Learning Difficulties
- Community Dysphagia (feeding/swallowing)
- Criminal Justice
- Communication Aid Service (includes adult referrals)
- Stammering Support Service (includes adult referrals)
- Assessment, goal setting and practical advice
- Education and self-management advice for parents/carers
- Individual and group therapy (intervention)
- Parent/carer workshops
Our speech and language therapist and assistants aim to support you to:
- Be more confident in supporting your child’s speech, language and communication or swallowing needs.
- Increase your knowledge about how to support your child’s speech, language and communication or swallowing needs.
- Develop new skills to use to support your child’s speech, language and communication or swallowing needs.
We also treat children who have oral, motor and/or sensory feeding difficulties. Children who have other kinds of difficulties with feeding such as social, emotional or behavioural problems along with issues such as challenges using utensils and poor appetite are best supported by other groups or professionals, or across agencies.
If you have concerns over a child's feeding difficulties please use the following guidance to help to decide your best course of action:
Workshops for Parents and Carers
Do you have a child with delayed speech and / or language development? Some children find it hard to:
- use words and sentences
- speak clearly
- understand conversations
- develop early communication skills which can affect relationships and learning
Would you like to find out more about helping your child to communicate?
Would you like a chance to meet and chat with other parents / carers whose children have similar difficulties?
We offer sessions for parents and carers of young children with delayed speech and / or language development. The courses are free for parents and carers who have a Leeds postcode and / or Leeds GP and have a child with an open referral to the speech and language therapy service. There will be a charge for parents and carers accessing our courses who are out of the area.
The workshops are very informal and give practical advice on helping your child and will give you the chance to:
- Find out more about how children develop communication skills.
- Think about the way children and adults interact together, and how this can influence children's communication development when there are difficulties.
- Share ideas and get support from other parents and carers whose children have delayed speech and / or language development.
These workshops give parents and carers an opportunity to develop their knowledge and skills in an informal and supportive atmosphere. These workshops are for parents and carers only. Unfortunately, there is no provision for your child to attend and there are no crèche facilities.
Following a speech and language assessment, if appropriate, your name will be added to a waiting list for parent training workshops. You will be offered a place on a parent training workshop via an opt-in letter. In order to book a place please follow the directions on the opt-in letter.
Contact and Referral Details
8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday
Attendance is by appointment only
All enquiries to:
Central CSLT Admin Team
Leeds Community Healthcare Headingley Park
8 Victoria Road
As part of the response to Covid-19, there may be some difference in how we are able to deliver your care at this time. We will contact you either by letter or phone to explain the level of support we can provide.
To help to maintain your health and wellbeing during this period of time we would like to work in partnership with you and to understand what you are able to do for your family member to support their needs. We will provide support and information either by letter, during phone and video consultations or occasionally in some cases during a face to face appointment.
We are continuing to accept referrals and will offer support as soon as possible. While schools are closed we are not always able to support your child in school and may contact you to offer a phone or video consultation at home. Current waiting times are around 18 weeks.